Exhibited in the museum
The scale originally lived in the Westford Town Hall, and is enclosed in a large wood cabinet, which was painted somewhat recently. A standardized means of accurately regulating weight in the nineteenth century and later, it includes sixteen graduated weights, three liquid measures, five metal holders, and several small lead weights. Directions for use and certifications are pasted on the cabinet doors and interior. It was made for the town by Howard and Davis, Boston, MA, in 1848. Our scale was used by the Town Sealer of Weights and Measures to uphold the state’s standards. It was used from around 1848 to 1900.
Wood Cabinet, painted