Museum Artifacts

Each week, Westford Museum Researcher, Jeff Henry, chooses an artifact or group of artifacts from the collection of the Westford Museum and shares it with you.

Jeffrey M. Henry moved from Sandy Hook, CT, to Westford, MA, with his family in the fall of 1996. In 2005, he graduated from Westford Academy, with interests in archaeology, history, and mythology. He went on to major in anthropology (archaeology specialization) and minor in history at Franklin Pierce University, graduating in 2009. A year prior, he began to volunteer at the Westford Historical Society and Museum. His first project involved cataloging the Atwood collection. After participating in archaeological excavations in Maine and Massachusetts, he primarily worked in museums from 2010 to 2018. His literature review and analysis on the subject of the Westford Knight, The Signpost: The Evolution of the Westford Knight, was first published in 2015. In 2017, he achieved his MA in history from Southern New Hampshire University. He transitioned his career into public libraries by 2019, later achieving his MS in Library and Information Science from Simmons University in 2022. Jeff continues to volunteer for the Westford Museum.

Keyword Search

 



Featured Artifact of the Week

Photograph From the Collection Black and white group photo from 1891, presumably of the Fletchers and Richardsons, at 120 Lowell Rd in Westford. The still standing house is known as

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Painting From the Collection (in museum) 4′ x 8′ painting on wood of the Nabnasset Country Club, surrounded by a 2.5″ wood frame. It was made around 1930, the painting

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Pincushion From the Collection Round beaded medallion pincushion made by Emily Frances Fletcher (1825-1943) in 1854. She was only nine years old. The item also has the initials “S.D.F.”, which

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Photograph From the Collection Ca. 1900 photograph of two women sitting in front of the fireplace in the Prescott House at 25 Pine Rd in the Graniteville section of town.

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Straight Pin From the Collection Two wooden pin setters used to straighten pins on the wool combs. They could also be used to remove short fibers in the wool. Their

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Historic House Print From the Collection Print of 224 Concord Road in Westford, originally taken in 1912, of the Henry Fletcher house. Henry was born in Chelmsford in 1778, and

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Ice Gaff From the Collection Ice Gaff (also known as an Ice Hook) made after 1850. The tool was used for moving ice at one of Westford’s commercial ice houses.

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Crocheted Cap From the Atwood Collection Woman’s handmade pink silk and cream lace nightcap that was made around 1900. It also as a pink ribbon drawstring. Nightcaps were more common

Read more »


Featured Artifact of the Week

Photograph From the collection 4.75″ x 7.5″ photograph of 14 Depot St, True Bean House, as it looked ca. 1895. The back lists from left to right: True A. Bean

Read more »