Photo of Brookside Mill
From the collection
This black and white photo of Brookside Mill (AKA Moore's Mill) was taken in 1906. Notice the top level of the tower was removed, as well as the addition of another level elsewhere on the structure, during the renovation into apartments by 2003. The oldest section of the mill dated to 1862, with additions after 1887. It was built as a worsted mill, similar to the Abbot Mill in Forge Village. By 1887, the mill was run by George R. Moore (1817-1892). Moore's son, George C. Moore (1848-1923), sold the mill to the Abbot Worsted Co. in 1919. After Abbot moved south in the 1950s, the building was used by Commodore Foods until its renovation into apartments.