Skip to content
The Westford Historical Society & Museum

The Westford Historical Society & Museum

0
  • Home
  • Exhibits
    • Museum Exhibits
    • Online Exhibits and Photo Galleries
    • Past Exhibits
  • News & Events
    • Subscribe
    • Museum News
    • Tours
    • Upcoming Events
    • Past Events
  • Research
    • Westford Historical Society Collections
    • Research
      • Research Resources
      • Transcriptions of Historic Documents
    • Research Topics
      • A Brief History of Westford
      • Museum Artifacts
      • Westford Notables
      • Hidden History of Westford
      • History of Westford Scouting
      • Archives from “The Westford Wardsman”
  • About Us
    • Plan your visit
    • History of the Museum
    • Future of the Museum
    • Board Members
  • Contact Us
    • Send us a message
    • Subscribe
  • Support Us
    • Member Benefits
    • Join or Donate
    • Business Membership
    • Business Sponsorship
    • Volunteer
  • Shop
  • 0

Historic Article Category: The Westford Wardsman

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, January 3, 1925.

Congregational Church’s Sunday School enjoys supper and a Christmas program of songs, a play, recitations, and a visit from Santa Claus, who presents gifts and candy. At the Frost School’s Christmas exercises, each child receives a Christmas gift, a box of candy, and fancy crackers, owing to the generosity of the Abbot Worsted Co. Excellent skating has been enjoyed on the mill pond in Graniteville.

Missing October 25 and November 1, 1924,

The Turner’s Public Spirit issues for October 25 and November 1, 1924, are missing from those issues available online through the Ayer Public Library.]

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, October 18, 1924.

Couple celebrate their 15th anniversary with a party of entertainment & refreshments for friends. Fletcher Granite’s blacksmith shop destroyed by fire. An officer of C.G. Sargent Sons Corp. & his wife, who are leaving for Miami, FL, are given a dinner & farewell party.

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, October 11, 1924.

Methodist Church Sunday School class holds a social in the church vestry with games, songs, a piano & violin duet, & piano solos. Local radio fans greatly enjoy getting the World Series results (the Washington Senators won their first & only series, 4 games to 3). KKK meeting reportedly held in Westford Town Hall.

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, October 4, 1924.

W.C.T.U. elects officers. High elevations in town see first frost of the season. Abbot Worsted soccer team visits Holyoke, defeats Falco Club in a national league game 3-1 Abbot Worsted mills and C. G. Sargent’s shop are running on a full week basis.

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, September 27, 1924.

The Grange holds a reception for the Superintendent of Schools, teachers, and School Committee members. Abbot Worsted soccer team ties Shawsheen at Forge Village. Motion pictures are being shown in Forge Village every Saturday evening.

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, September 20, 1924.

Thirty ladies of Congregational Church’s Ladies’ Aid meet to complete articles for the fair. School Committee votes to move the Cameron School sixth grade to one of the new rooms at the Sargent School. Westford Academy Principal William Roudenbush prints a pamphlet on “The value of a high school education.”

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, September 13, 1924.

Westford Academy enrollment is 87: 55 girls and 32 boys. New automatic flagging signal installed at the railroad crossing at Westford Station on Depot Street. Remodeled Sargent School to open with four new rooms, new seats, a new heating system, and painted inside and out.

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, September 6, 1924.

All schools open except the Sargent School in Graniteville, whose opening is delayed due to repairs being made. Prof. John Adams Taylor, son of long-time Wardsman correspondent Samuel Law Taylor & the late Alta Taylor, dies. The Abbot Worsted baseball team loses out for the second-half championship in the Boston Twilight League

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, August 30, 1924.

American Legion Auxiliary & Westford Post corn & frankfort roast at Keyes Pond is postponed on account of the weather. The Northern Middlesex County Republicans’ annual outing at the Whitney playground features speakers, a band concert, & singing by the Honey Boy Four, followed by a ballgame & dance. Local fish & game warden places over 10,000 fingerling trout in the area ponds & streams.

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, August 23, 1924.

The Spalding Light Cavalry Association, a veterans’ organization, holds reunion at Whitney playground with a clay pigeon shoot, followed by a banquet for 150 men & women in Town Hall. Assessors increase the valuation of the town to a little over $4 million & set the tax rate at $30. [Current townwide taxable value is $6.7 billion; tax rate is $13.77/$1,000.]

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, August 16, 1924.

Lowell’s Church of All Nations closes its industrial summer school with an outing at Lake Nabnassett with about 200 children. Pictures of “The story of Pocahontas and Capt. John Smith” are on display at the library. Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Smith celebrate their 35th anniversary with party for 200 at Abbot’s Hall, Brookside.

Older posts
Newer posts
← Previous Page1 … Page4 Page5 Page6 … Page53 Next →

     

Westford Museum
PO Box 411, 2-4 Boston Road
Westford, MA 01886
(978) 692-5550
Contact Us • Privacy Policy
The Westford Museum is open most Sundays of the year from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
Directions, hours and closings information.
Website sponsored by Eastern Bank

Site developed by Lewis Studios
© 2026 Westford Historical Society & Westford Museum. All rights reserved.