Skip to content
The Westford Historical Society & Museum

The Westford Historical Society & Museum

0
  • Home
  • Exhibits
    • Museum Exhibits
    • Online Exhibits and Photo Galleries
    • Past Exhibits
  • News & Events
    • Subscribe
    • Museum News
    • Tours
    • Upcoming Events
    • Past Events
  • Research
    • Westford Historical Society Collections
    • Research
      • Research Resources
      • Transcriptions of Historic Documents
    • Research Topics
      • A Brief History of Westford
      • Museum Artifacts
      • Westford Notables
      • Hidden History of Westford
      • History of Westford Scouting
      • Archives from “The Westford Wardsman”
  • About Us
    • Plan your visit
    • History of the Museum
    • Future of the Museum
    • Board Members
  • Contact Us
    • Send us a message
    • Subscribe
  • Support Us
    • Member Benefits
    • Join or Donate
    • Business Membership
    • Business Sponsorship
    • Volunteer
  • Shop
  • 0

Historic Article Category: The Westford Wardsman

The Westford Wardsman, May 1909

The children of the Stony Brook School plant trees, lawns & flowers in observance of Arbor Day. Abbot & Co. erecting three double houses on Pond St. Residents boycott trolley over fare increase between Center & Brookside to 15 cents.

The Westford Wardsman, April 1909

Enterprise Club presents play with cast of almost 40. Several residents travel to Washington D.C., enjoy sightseeing & meet newly elected President Taft & his wife. Forge Village man arrested for attempt to blackmail Julian Cameron.

The Westford Wardsman, March 1909

Town Meeting votes on improving roads & the land adjacent to the Frost School, controlling gypsy & browntail moths, eliminating a discount for early payment of taxes, & moving the firehouse from the rear of Town Hall to Parkerville.

The Westford Wardsman, February 1909

Enterprise Club holds its first meeting at the Unitarian Church. Cameron students raise funds to purchase piano for the school. Schools & clubs observe Lincoln’s centenary. Westford Water Co. releases its first annual report.

The Westford Wardsman, January 1909

Selectmen solicit funds to aid sufferers of an earthquake in Italy. School Committee names new Center school for William E. Frost. H. E. Fletcher Granite Company supplies stonework for new U.S. treasury building in Washington, D.C.

The Westford Wardsman, Saturday, December 26, 1908.

“About Town.  An important book [“A General Catalogue of Trustees, Teachers and Students, Westford Academy, Westford, Mass.,” compiled by Cornelia Fletcher Day and published in Westford in 1912] will soon be published, under the direction of Mrs. George T. Day, who has for several years been collecting names and dates of former teachers and scholars of Westford academy from its incorporation up to and including the centennial year

The Westford Wardsman, December 1908

H. E. Fletcher Company leases steam shovel to enlarge its quarry. Chicken pox is prevalent among the children in town. Cameron School students sing the “Carnival of the Flowers.”

The Westford Wardsman, October 1908

Severe “drouth” doesn’t affect the display of fruits & vegetables at agricultural fair. Census of school children between the ages of 5 & 15 records total at 435. M.E. Church reopens after extensive repairs & alterations. School in Graniteville named the Sargent School.

The Westford Wardsman, September 1908

C.F.A. (Companions of the Foresters of America) holds “a gala day” with a baseball game & other attractions, finishing with supper & a dancing party. “The pretty new four-room schoolhouse” in the Center opens, with one room unused due to the decision not to transfer pupils from Stony Brook and Minot’s Corner schools.

The Westford Wardsman, August 1908

School Committee reverses decision to close 3 schools. Kathryn Brown lauded as first girl to swim across Forge Pond. Unitarian Church is redecorated. William A. Woodward is appointed new principal of Westford Academy. Arrest made in series of hen thefts.

The Westford Wardsman, July 1908

A circular driveway is built in front of the new Center school. Children’s day is well carried out at the Congregational Church.

The Westford Wardsman, June 1908

“Board of education” votes to close 3 schools & to rename the Forge Village schoolhouse the Cameron School. WA graduation held at Town Hall; alumni hold annual reception & dance. Total valuation of town assessed as $1,753,489; personal property $5,814; number of horses 400, cows 751, swine 150 & hens 3245.

Older posts
Newer posts
← Previous Page1 … Page48 Page49 Page50 … Page53 Next →

     

Westford Museum
PO Box 411, 2-4 Boston Road
Westford, MA 01886
(978) 692-5550
Contact Us • Privacy Policy
The Westford Museum is open most Sundays of the year from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
Directions, hours and closings information.
Website sponsored by Eastern Bank

Site developed by Lewis Studios
© 2026 Westford Historical Society & Westford Museum. All rights reserved.