Skip to content
The Westford Historical Society & Museum

The Westford Historical Society & Museum

0
  • Home
  • Exhibits
    • Museum Exhibits
    • Online Exhibits and Photo Galleries
    • Past Exhibits
  • News & Events
    • Subscribe
    • Museum News
    • Tours
    • Upcoming Events
    • Past Events
  • Research
    • Westford Historical Society Collections
    • Research
      • Research Resources
      • Transcriptions of Historic Documents
    • Research Topics
      • A Brief History of Westford
      • Museum Artifacts
      • Westford Notables
      • Hidden History of Westford
      • History of Westford Scouting
      • Archives from “The Westford Wardsman”
  • About Us
    • Plan your visit
    • History of the Museum
    • Future of the Museum
    • Board Members
  • Contact Us
    • Send us a message
    • Subscribe
  • Support Us
    • Member Benefits
    • Join or Donate
    • Business Membership
    • Business Sponsorship
    • Volunteer
  • Shop
  • 0

Historic Article Category: The Westford Wardsman

The Westford Wardsman, May 1910

Trolley service resumes between the Center & Brookside. Brookside mills owner is making improvements to Nabnassett pond. St. Catherine’s Church to be renovated, including replacing badly leaking roof. A concert in Forge Village–“the event of the season”–features performers from Boston & Portsmouth.

The Westford Wardsman, April 1910

Town Hall undergoing $1,000 worth of repairs & renovations, & a telephone is installed. Churches celebrate Easter. New school superintendent appointed. Brush & forest fires break out due to dry conditions.

The Westford Wardsman, March 1910

New pastor preaches first sermon at Congregational Church. Town Meeting accepts gift from Mrs. M. Elizabeth Whitney to establish & maintain a public playground & baseball field between the Frost School & the Academy, in memory of her husband Hiram Whitney.

The Westford Wardsman, February 1910

WA basketball team defeats Chelmsford, later in month loses to Stow, then beats an alumni team. H. E. Fletcher granite company has government contract for new post office in New Orleans. Fifteenth anniversary of St. Andrew’s Mission observed with special service.

The Westford Wardsman, January 1910

New law limits mill hours to 56 hours a week, down from 58. Congregational Church’s pastor resigns. Fierce cat fight reported in Forge Village. Large crowd enjoys horse races on frozen Forge Pond.

The Westford Wardsman, December 1909

Library exhibits photographs of Yellowstone Park. Congregational Church holds successful annual banquet. Schools & churches celebrate Christmas. Ice fishing on Forge Pond is allowed for first time in 5 years.

The Westford Wardsman, November 1909

Assessors set valuation of the town at $1.8 million, report number of horses as 382; cows, 78; swine, 80; hens, 4882; dwelling houses, 507. Ellen Swallow Richards speaks to Tadmuck Club. Unitarian Church’s annual fair features play titled “Our Church Fair.”

The Westford Wardsman, October 1909

Pheasants & deer damage local crops. Graniteville football team loses to North Chelmsford in the first game of the season. Tadmuck Club hears talk on “physical culture,” including a demonstration of exercises with wooden & iron dumbbells & Indian clubs.

The Westford Wardsman, September 1909

Residents petition against closing of the Stony Brook School but school is closed & students redistricted to Frost School. St. Andrew’s Sunday school children hold annual picnic at Cameron’s grove. School census shows 448 school children between the ages of 5 & 15.

The Westford Wardsman, August 1909

Sunday school association takes excursion to Canobie Lake. Court Westford, M.C.O.F. hosts Field Day in Graniteville. Forge Village to lose one of its oldest landmarks as Abbot & Co. tears down old spinning room to make room for a three-story brick mill.

The Westford Wardsman, July 1909

“Best ever” 4th of July celebration includes parade, a ladies’ ball game, other sports & a concert. Meeting is held to discuss a proposed soldiers’ monument on the Common. Deer damage corn & berry crops on Francis Hill.

The Westford Wardsman, June 1909

First Parish, Congregational & M.E. churches meet together to observe Memorial Day. Trolley fares are cut in half between Center & Brookside in response to town complaints. Veterans commemorate Bunker Hill Day with an old-fashioned campfire.

Older posts
Newer posts
← Previous Page1 … Page47 Page48 Page49 … Page53 Next →

     

Westford Museum
PO Box 411, 2-4 Boston Road
Westford, MA 01886
(978) 692-5550
Contact Us • Privacy Policy
The Westford Museum is open most Sundays of the year from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
Directions, hours and closings information.
Website sponsored by Eastern Bank

Site developed by Lewis Studios
© 2026 Westford Historical Society & Westford Museum. All rights reserved.