Main Street and Academy Postcard
From the collection
What is today the Roudenbush Community Center was the second building to house the Westford Academy. The first building is now the Westford Museum, third the Abbot Abbot Elementary on Depot St, and fourth at the present Patton Rd location. The present WA building may be considered the fifth due to the renovation and expansion concluded in 2001. The “Roudenbush” was specifically the WA from 1897 to 1928, while WA was still a private organization then. The architect was Fitchburg’s H.M. Frances (1836-1938), while the contractor was William C. Edwards. The building was used as the school department from 1928 to 1955. It was renamed the Roudenbush School after, and was used for younger grades until 1973. The YWCA then leased the building until 1975. The town converted it into a community center in that year, and the organization became independent soon after. The building had a major renovation between 2017 and 2019.
The post card itself was addressed to Miss Claire Stepney, Girl Scout Camp, Waterville, CT. It was also hand colored by the publisher, J. Herbert Fletcher. Notice the 1¢ Benjamin Franklin postage stamp! Such stamps were issued around 1920.
3.5 x 5.5″