Westford Academy Football Pin
From the temporary Other Colors of Westford Academy exhibit
The WA football pin is from between 1946 and 1947. It shows the team colors being maroon and gray in those years. The team colors would become black and white by the late 1950s, before going back to today’s maroon and gray starting in 1959 with the introduction of the Grey Ghost mascot. There was no known WA mascot in the 1940s, with first known being the short-lived Black Knight in the late 1950s.
The pin is felt with a leather “football” on the front and safety pin on the reverse. It was made in the USA by The Felt Crafters of Plainstow, NH, whose slogan was “Always Something New.” Cynthia Cook Winterhalter of Ashland, MA, donated the pin in 2012.
Felt, leather, metal pin