David Iver Olsson was born in Sundsvall, Vasternorrland, Sweden, on August 27, 1891, the son of Carl Olofsson (1846-1924) and Alma Elizabeth Eriksson (1858-1925). Carl was the last of his line to use a patronymic surname, i.e., Carl son of Olof = Carl Olofsson. Carl’s parents were Olof Tholsson (son of Thol Olofsson and Maja Lisa Oldsdotter) and Anna Brita Johansdotter. Olof Tholsson was born in 1814 and died January 19, 1863 in Stubbereds, Gärdhem Parish, Älvsborg County, Sweden.
Carl Olofsson, he would go by Olsson in America, was a stonecutter per the Swedish records. On February 23, 1894, he left Skönsmon, Sweden, located just south of Sundsvall, and came to America. His wife and four children left Skönsmon in May, sailed on the S.S. Slavonia of the Hamburg-America Line from Göteborg on May 18, 1894, and arrived in New York on June 2. The family settled in the “Swede’s Corner” area of West Chelmsford, where Carl died November 1, 1924. Alma died there April 13, 1925. They are buried in West Chelmsford Cemetery under the surname Olson.
David Iver was the youngest of the four children born in Sweden. The others were Adina (1886-1984), who married Walter Downing, Lydia (1887-1969), who married Ralph Jenkins, and Carl August (1890-1953). Three others were born in Chelmsford: John Samuel (1895-1965), Elvira Elizabeth “Vera” (1897-1971, who married Chester A. Burnham, and Ida Wilhelmina (1899-1918).
In 1917 David married Beatrice May Sutherland (1893-1957), daughter of Alonzo Hugh “Lon” Sutherland (1868-1948) and Martha Luella “Mattie” Cass (1869-1947). Lon was born in Nova Scotia and was a prominent citizen of Westford for 53 years. He was superintendent of the Westford Water Co. from its inception in 1907 until his death in 1948. He served as engineer of the Westford fire department from 1914 to 1916, and as the chief from 1916 to 1940. He was a police officer for years, an election warden for 40 years, a member of the Union Congregational church (located next to his house), and a charter member of the Spalding Light Cavalry association.
David was living in West Chelmsford in 1921 when he became a naturalized citizen but was in Westford by the 1930 census, although his obituary says he did not move here until 1931. He built the houses at 8, 10 and 12 Boston Road on land he bought from his in-laws, who lived at 6 Boston Road.
David and Beatrice adopted two daughters. Dorothy Loretta Gould (1920-1937) died young and Madeline “Maddie” married Anthony Sambito, a barber in Littleton, and lived at 12 Boston Road where they raised two children.
David worked at Fletcher’s Quarry on Groton Road for many years, as did his brother Carl A., and was the tax collector for the town of Westford from 1941 to 1957. He was a 50-year member of Ancient York Lodge AF&AM of Lowell, and a former member and Past Master of Chelmsford Grange.
David was living at 10 Boston Road when he died February 17, 1979. Beatrice had preceded him on May 8, 1957. They are buried in Fairview Cemetery, along with their daughter Dorothy. They share a tombstone and burial plot with Beatrice’s Sutherland family.