Blue-tinted photo of the Abbot Worsted Mill complex in Forge Village, as it looked in 1950 at Pleasant St. The first Abbot Mill was in the area of 44 N Main St in 1855 Graniteville. This mill burned down in 1858, and replaced the next year, downstream, as Mill #1. In 1879, the company purchased the Forge Village Horse and Nail buildings on Pleasant St. The mill, pictured above, was completed in 1910. Abbot also owned the Brookside Mills by 1919. The company moved south in 1956, and subsequently went out of business. The Forge Village mill was then owned by Murray Printing Co, while the Brookside Mill was owned by Commodore Foods. Today, these mills are apartment complexes.