May Balch Drawing
From the collection
The picture was drawn by Mary “May” Gertrude Balch (1875-1961) in 1957. May Balch was a local artist. She graduated from Westford Academy in 1888, and Massachusetts Normal School in 1896. Later, she was immortalized as one of the museum’s Westford Women Dolls in the 1980s. Her painted doors are also within the museum’s collection.
The pencil sketch, “Woodbury House from Brickyard Hill, 1895,” depicts the house at 253 Concord Road. The house was built by 1860. Ron & Mary Jo Johnson later lived in this house from 1962-1988. Though the barn no longer exists, the rest of the house still stands today.