On display in the museum
The 18th century blacksmith’s anvil was known as a “Colonial Conical Horn 5th Foot Anvil.” It was produced in England for the Colonies, probably arriving in Massachusetts after 1700. The “S” maker’s mark was engraved over the extra foot on the front. This style of anvil had multiple distinct features such as a rectangular handling hole, a fifth foot, and a sloped face. Due to being “handmade,” there can be noticeable variability in the overall appearance of these anvils.
Groton resident Steve Burne, the donor, purchased the anvil in 1974 from Donald Whitney of Providence Road in Westford, MA. According to Ron Whitney, the donor’s relative, a Whitney ancestor was the first blacksmith in Westford.
Weight: nearly 200 ibs!